Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fitness: Day 2.....Moving along

Yesterday was a good day. I awoke feeling pretty good and I felt strong through my morning run. Even though I was winded at the top of the hill again, I made the decision to push it harder and then went 1 block farther. Each day I hope to go another block. When I got home it was time for some push-ups and crunches. I didn't do many push ups, but my shoulder didn't pop out behind my shoulder blade either. Success!

I was a little stressed at work. After waiting for a week to get the info I needed, I got it on the day the project was due. After being good for 2 days, I felt it was time to have a couple of beers. This is where I want to re-emphasize that I am nudging myself in the right direction; this is not a makeover. I am trying to find a healthy sustainable lifestyle. The beers hit the spot and I look forward to my next couple after tomorrow nights ride with MORE.

I made a delicious casserole for dinner. Each serving was about a 1/4 lb of meat and the rest of the food was potatoes and vegetables....which I added a few more then are listed in the recipe below. There was probably a bit more cheese then is "healthy" but it was so delicious. I cannot wait to have it leftover for lunch today. The one thing that is great about cooking for yourself is you know where the ingredients come from. The zucchini were locally grown without pesticides or genetic modification. The potatoes were mass produced/organically grown in California which is OK. The bison was grass fed without antibiotics or steroids in Wyoming. Grass fed bison and beef have more omega-3 then fish. Most beef eaten in this country is corn fed. Corn fed beef is bad beef. The food chain is important to human nutrition.


The numbers:

Fitness:
Ran 1 more block then yesterday including the park and the hill.
3 sets of 5 pushups
3 sets of 10 stomach crunches
3 sets of 10 curls with 12 lbs
Bike 4 total miles to and from work

Nutrition
Breakfast: Pumpkin seed and flax granola with skim milk
1 cup of coffee
4 pints of water
Lunch: Leftovers from yesterday
http://rayslifecycle.blogspot.com/2010/07/fitness-day-1run-lift-eat-ride-cook.html
Rainier Cherries snack at work
4: 1" x 2" stone wheat thin crackers with a small spread of herb goats cheese while waiting for casserole to bake
Dinner: Bison potato and zucchini casserole
http://www.bisonbasics.com/recipes/casseroles/bison_potato_casserole.html
3 dogfishhead 90 minute IPA.....mmmmmm

Words actions and photos by Ray Heinsman

1 comment:

  1. Ray, I view beer as food. Much of the time I look for craft brews that are unfiltered; like some hefewisens and pale ales...Laguinata's is one I like. Unfiltered and minimally processed beers keep a lot of their original nutritional value. Oh, and the are good for post workout recovery...really.

    And, you can brew your own…but that’s probably one hobby to many.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete