Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fitness: Day 1......Run, Lift, Eat, Ride, Cook

Yesterday morning I got up at 6am and went for a run. Not a long run, just around the large block through our little park. It includes 1 very large and very steep hill. I was out of breath pretty bad after the hill and almost slowed to a walk, but after cresting the top pushed it a little bit and was able to really feel it by the time I got home.

After I got home I did a series of shoulder strengthening exercises with dumb-bells. I have some serious shoulder problems and my left one is especially unstable. Using 12 pounders, I did a military press, a front lift and a side lift. Afterwards I did a bench press using elastic bands attached to the railing of the stairs. I did each of these in series, 10 reps, 3 sets.

You may be saying to yourself, "12 lbs isn't much".
You're right.
I have some serious shoulder issues though having dislocated them many times and had broken collar bones and yadayaydayada......The list goes on, but I am determined not to let this continue to hinder me any more. First stabilize, then strengthen.

I'm using all the knowledge I have ignored over the years to send myself on the right path.

After finishing with my shoulders, I made breakfast. This consisted of a Trader Joes English Muffin, a schmear of Cream Cheese, some smoked salmon, black pepper and a cup of Green Tea. This meal could use a fruit of vegetable.I will see what I can do about that tomorrow.

Then I rode my bike to work which is 2 miles almost all up hill.

For lunch I walked over to whole foods and got a few items for tonight's dinner as well as some lunch.
Lunch consisted of 2 bbq ribs, a bunch of roasted potatoes and a vegetable medley of  carrots, onions, broccolli and peppers. The vegetables were the majority of the content of this lunch.

After work I rode home. What goes up, must come down....but this trip down I peddled hard and braked hard and I had a huge bag of dog food and a bag of groceries in my trailer.

Dinner tonight consisted of 2 mahi mahi fillets with a blackberry hot sauce that Erica and I bought at Peppers in Key West. I also made a blueberry, carrot, banana pepper, green onion, lemon juice, seaseme seed and red pepper salad that I roasted slightly before serving. It was delicious.

Good day. Got a lot done. Felt good about doing it.
Now for my next magic trick..........

Words actions and photos by Ray Heinsman 

2 comments:

  1. It was delicious! Good job baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. salad sounds amazing. Word of advise from my roommate who has ran 10 marathons: eat before running in the morning, a small piece of toast with half a teaspoon of jam will do. Your body need a jolt carbs to have a better workout.

    -mf

    ReplyDelete