Monday, July 12, 2010

Fitness Article 1: The Plan

     This is my first article on my fitness. In life, I have partied plenty hard. It is now time to prioritize and treat my body with the respect it deserves. In the past year I have gotten married which included an intense series of fun events which surrounded this wonderful moment in my life. I have also participated in birthday celebrations, beer pong competitions, anniversaries, sports event celebrations, BBQs, flip cup competitions, happy hours, pub crawls, and general festivities. Sure it is a great time to eat burgers & wings and drink whiskeys & beers; and I am not saying that I will never do this again. What I am saying is that I am going to sway my day to day lifestyle in a healthier direction and not make this my way of life.

     Am I on a diet?
                                                         No

     Am I training for an event?
                                                         No

These things are temporary. When people "go on a diet" or "train", if/when they reach their goals they usually stop. What I am doing is making my health a more important part of my life.

Here are some numbers:
Weight: 223.8 lbs
Height: 5'-11"
Age 36 
Blood Pressure: 130/90

These numbers are not good.
Over the next few months I will be cataloging what I eat and what I do each day in this blog thus hopefully resulting in changes to my weight and blood pressure.

I will post two different types of Fitness articles.
1) Nutrition Related
2) Activity Related

If you have been following my blog you have probably read a couple of articles about my re-entry into mountain biking and the results of this effort are marginal at best. The reason for this is my lack of commitment to my health.

I feel tired, fat and old.
There is way too much life ahead of me to constantly feel and look this way.

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing to read this article, because I started doing the same thing TODAY! I created an xls template that will track my diet daily, and allow me to track my workouts too. I plan on weighing myself daily to accomplish this. My life sounds exactly like yours (except my marriage ended after 4 months). I drank hard, ate hard, etc...gained a bunch of weight. Then I lost the weight and ran 2 marathons. Unfortunately, my weight has see-sawed over the past year, and I let myself go. I have committed myself to regaining control over my body, because I hate the way I feel. Anyway, good luck with this. If you want to see my spreadsheet, send me a FB message with your email address. I would be happy to send it along. Best of luck, and congratulations on the new marriage too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray, you are neither fat nor old (I should know 'cause I am!) As for tired - go to sleep! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW: - here are my numbers:
    Weight: 230 lbs
    Height: 6'-1 1/2"
    Age 53
    Blood Pressure: 110/75

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its not that I am fat and old. I feel Fat and Old.
    Bob, you currently can ride circles around me.
    Nice blood pressure numbers!

    ReplyDelete