Friday, June 11, 2010

Becoming One With Nature

Making great rides happen requires preparation. 

1) Eat well - check
- ate a banana, a breakfast sandwich, a sandwich at lunch with lots of veggies on it, and a bagel 1 hr. before the ride. I also took the endurolytes which really seem to be working,

2) good nights sleep - check
- got a solid 8 hours the night before with vivid dreams and no mid-night wake-ups.

3) reduced alcohol and caffeine consumption - check
- had a couple of beers and 1 cup of coffee the previous few days before the ride.

4) lots of water - check
- had 6 pints of water on Wednesday and 5 pints on Thursday before riding.

5) Clean riding gear - check
- well my gloves were a little stinky - but a clean jersey and shorts!

6) Arrive on time - check
- got to the trail head 20 minutes before launch even in heavy traffic - which took some paying attention to the traffic report before leaving - in DC  - a necessity

7) Bike in Good Working Order - Check
- My bikes tires were just right and the chain was well lubed.

8) Good Spirits- check
-there are two types of spirits - a. anytime I go riding I feel happy and b. Scott brought more Raging Bitch Ale by Flying Dog for an after ride thirst quencher.

9) Be ready  - check
- I had just found my multi-tool which was good becaseu the new guy had some headset trouble, I also had cold water, a tube and a pump in my bag, my phone was fully charged and I had my ID and keys in my bag.

10) Ride with good people- check
- Today's ride was led by James. He took us on the two larger loops at a great pace that was both challenging and fun but didn't destroy me. I found my second wind a third and forth time. We also had a new guy who's positive attitude went a long way to helping me find that little extra when it was needed.

What does all this have to do with the title? Just now I felt a little itch on top of my head. I reached for it and there was a little bump which felt like a scab. I picked at it and it came right off in my finger nails. Holding it in front of my eyes I looked at it and it was a TICK! Evidently my head was a great place to start a new family but that didn't happen. Ah bringing a little trail back to the office the next day.

Ride on

Words and bike Photos By Ray Heinsman
Tick photo courtesy of the website in the TICK link

1 comment:

  1. I'm not liking the tick! I'm the only one that gets to bite you ; )

    ReplyDelete