Friday, June 4, 2010

Disappointment

What is disappointment? It is a feeling that results when your expectations are not realized. Expectations are awful. If your expectations are met, great. When you have none, surprise! When you have expectations though, usually they are accompanied with some kind of disappointment.  Defeated and unsuccessful are acknowledged synonyms. To the list of synonyms I would like to add rain.

I had gotten quite used to going on my Thursday Mountain-bike rides. Even started structuring a few days of my week around them. But yesterday, Thursday, June 3; rain

It wouldn't have been so bad, except that I was well on my way to the trail when the skies opened up. If any of you have driven in DC traffic, you will understand how much worse that can make the feeling of disappointment. I had driven almost an hour upon realizing that I was not going riding. I may as well turn around and try to salvage the rest of the afternoon. The drive back was during the height of rush hour. (Why they call it rush hour I do not know, no one is rushing anywhere.) I ended up sitting in the car for 2 1/2 hours in the rain.

So what is the lesson here? As long as there are expectations, there will be disappointment. The greater the expectations, the greater the potential for disappointment is. Have you ever been in a situation and afterwards said to yourself, "wow, I never expected to have such a great time!"  

Surprise. 

If you reduce your expectations, you will have this feeling more often. Also, before leaving to go ride your bike; look at that darn weather radar map and see if there are any green dots coming your way. If they are, don't get in the car during rush hour leaving you to waste your afternoon driving nowhere in the rain.


words by Ray Heinsman

2 comments:

  1. Upon looking at facebook - I guess I should have kept driving - people went riding! and I did not. I expected it was going to be raining at the trail - so my expectations got in the way twice that day. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always look at the bright side. You may not have rode, but that's a pretty sweet picture of your windshield

    ReplyDelete