Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bike to Work in Work Clothes; Why Not?




Today's article, in Boston.com, discusses how more people are riding to work in their "street" clothes. For years when commuting in Buffalo NY I did this. Then I moved to DC and my commute got considerably longer. I would wear shorts, sneakers and a t-shirt and change into my work clothes when I got to work because sweating is bad when in an office environment, but never spandex. Now that I ride a short distance, and I may sweat a little, I am back to riding in my work attire. Why Not? I have shoes with rubber bottoms that hold the pedal nicely. I look professional where-ever I go. This is the way they do things in the rest of the world and it is becoming popular here. Check out my first rider of the day.

If you want to ride in your "gear"; go for it. It is comfortable and performance oriented. If I take a ride for sport I wear sporty gear.

On the other hand, If I am just using a bike for transportation; changing requires a lot of extra work........Its a simple task - get somewhere in a few minutes to do something. I think it is easier to drive and park in a garage then it is to get changed at the beginning and end of every little jaunt. Some people have even infused cycle into their style. Check out http://velovogue.blogspot.com/.

Unless it is raining or snowing, you won't ruin anything to ride a couple of miles and get some ice cream......mmmmmmm     Ice Cream.....that sounds good.

Ride on

Words By Ray Heinsman

1 comment: