Sunday, May 30, 2010

Endurolytes: A Solution?

Since I started mountain biking at the age of 16, climbing has always been difficult. I suffer from cramps; I can't keep my breath; and I sweat so much my eyes burn. I know everyone has difficulty climbing, but I seem to always be a little behind.

What can be done to make me a better climber?

The most important thing I need to do is get stronger, but that isn't something that happens over night. With the number of injuries incurred over the past decade, it will be a slow process. Most important is to take my time and make sure not to re-injure myself.

The second thing is diet. This can be improved every day. Make sure that you are well hydrated at the beginning of the ride. Eat some complex carbohydrates about an hour before the ride starts. My choice is a bagel. I also try to increase the amount of carbohydrates the day before by 15% or so. Fruits, vegetables and meat are important for healing and recovery.

No matter what I eat and how hydrated I am, I still have problems with muscular cramping. Realizing that I sweat more then the average bear; I decided to try an electrolyte supplement. "Endurolytes" were recommended to me by my new found friends at MORE. I went to the website and saw they had many products. Shipping is never cheap and if they work I may want to use several different products and order in larger quantities. So I picked up this bottle from REI. It cost 20 dollars even. I took 3 about 15 minutes before riding and hoped for the best.

Thursdays ride started off like the typical casual group ride on Thursdays at Schaeffer Farms. Although James, a rider who usually hangs tight with the faster paced groups was the leader; he took a fairly casual pace at first. The temperature was in the 90s and the humidity was off the charts. You could see rain clouds in the distance dropping liquid with a vengeance. But as the ride went on, the pace seemed to quicken. The first uphill I held on to my number two position in the pack. By the second hill I was again struggling. What happened to the supplements? I thought they were going to help.

Well, no product will fix everything. I still need more strength. I still need to eat even better then I do. There was, however, a second wind near the end of the ride. I was riding with more energy at the end of the ride then I had for the past hour. Then the last couple of large hills came up and back to the rear I go again. Oh well. There went that. Was there any help from this new product? I think so. But it was not conclusive until I awoke the next morning. 

Usually dreading getting out of bed after a ride and sleeping until the last possible minute before I need to go to work; this morning was different. I awoke at 5:30am. I felt refreshed and strong. I got up and took a shower. I made breakfast and got my stuff together. I started my morning commute taking off like a bullet. Aggressively attacking the road and swerving with mental clarity, this was unlike any post ride commute I ever had. Is this because of Endurolytes? I will have to use them again and let you know. I have never taken a supplement before, but this may be what I have been doing wrong for the past 20 + years.

Words and Photos By Ray Heinsman

1 comment:

  1. Glad the endurolytes may have helped. Man, I got to lose that belly or stop standing sideways.

    ReplyDelete