Thursday, May 20, 2010

Silver Cycles: A First Look

Whenever I went to the Woodside Deli for crab-cake benedict on Sunday mornings, I noticed Silver Cycles, was open. This is early for a little shop. Over the past few years, I had heard good things about them. Once, a customer came to Griffin Cycle because he had been referred there by Linda, the owner of Silver Cycles. It was a busy Sunday, but he commuted everyday to NOAA on his bicycle, so I made the extra effort to get him on his way and make sure we remained worthy of  her noble and generous recommendation. Wanting to know more about this little gem in the cycling community; yesterday, after work, I rode down Georgia Ave in DC rush hour traffic and stopped by my neighborhood bike shop, Silver Cycles, for the first time. 

Upon entering, I noticed that this store maximized space. Not much larger then my living room, there were 4 jam packed, neatly organized, floor to ceiling product displays and two, two story bike racks housing all styles of very affordable, and a few high end, bicycles. For as small as this shop was, it had more selection then I have seen in some large bike shops. There were several types of everything. If you are on your bike and something breaks, I would bet that this store is going to have something that will work and get you on your way. There was also a very efficient, well organized and clean repair area, as well as a small storage closet in the back.

3 employees were in the store along with the owner, Linda, when I visited. A young man, Josh, (who had been there 5 years) and I had a nice conversation. He started by coming over and saying, "I approve" upon inspecting my bike. This is always a good thing. Shop employees that take a postitive interest in their customers bike, will always be who I go to when I need service. This attribute was obviously due to the shop's leadership. Even though Linda was busy moving product, polishing a BMX bike and generally taking care of things in the store, she took the time to discuss each individual part of a vintage Japanese Fuji brought in by a customer while I was there. It was at this moment that I realized what makes this Linda and her little shop special. She has an unparalleled passion for bicycles and helping people riding them.

It seems no matter what shop I visit, they are making improvements to serve their customers better. As you can see from the picture, Silver Cycles is moving. In a few days, a much larger space immediately adjacent to their current location will be a welcome change for Linda and her crew. I cannot wait to see what they do with it. If you need a quality affordable new bike, or some expert service; I recommend stopping in at Silver Cycles: 9330 Georgia Avenue (at the intersection with Seminary Road) Silver Spring, MD 20910-1726.

(301) 585-1889

No comments:

Post a Comment