Friday, April 30, 2010

Walmart Bicycle Vs Bike Shop Bicycle: Why Pay More?

You get what You pay for.
In the bicycle world, when buying bikes that cost less then $1500, this is very true. Over that price, the differences for the average enthusiast are less significant.  Working in bike shops for the last 18 years, there has been a question I have been asked over and over again.

Why should I buy a bike at my local bike shop for $350 instead of a bike from a department store like Wal-mart, Target, or Kmart for $150? Top Photo

In this article I am going to present evidence that the person paying $150 at a department store is going to pay more then $200 to repair the bike over the next 5 years. This person will also ride the bike less and put themselves at a higher risk for serious injury while doing so.  Consumer Reports has a pretty decent article that glances over the some of the pros and cons comparing bicycle shops to department stores. What are your priorities when buying a bike? Most people I talk to want a product that functions and fits properly. They do not know a lot about bikes, so they rely on someone with expertise to help them out.

Spend $350 now or more then that later.
When purchasing a bicycle from a department store, there is no knowledgeable staff on hand to assist you. The bicycles are usually poorly assembled and do not function properly from the moment they are purchased. A bicycle brought to a bicycle shop will cost at least $75 to assemble properly. That is to ensure that your brakes stop, gears shift, parts are properly lubed and bolts are securely tightened. Department store assembly people get paid by the bike. The more bikes they assemble, the more money they make per hour. The store requirements for a proper assembly are minimal: all parts must be attached. I only know of one person who was able to put the bikes together at a Toys "R" Us properly and it was because he happened to be a bike guy who cared. There were exceptions (he doesn't work there now), but those exceptions are rare. I know someone who bought a bike from Target and the rear hub broke in the 3rd month of ownership. He only rode it to get from the paint shop to the wood shop at our local union carpenters millwork facility. During that time it never shifted properly and the brakes always rubbed due to the wheel being out of true. He spent almost $100 to get it repaired. The quality of the parts used on department store bikes are highly inferior to those found on bicycles in a local bike shop. I have seen handlebars droop because they were made of such cheap steel they bent in the 1st year of riding. I have seen frame parts bend because they are thin plate steel instead of the thick machined pieces found on real bikes. Bikes bought at department stores are not able to be brought back to the store for maintenance so the owner has to bring it to a shop. Griffin Cycle has free maintenance for the first 15 months on bikes purchased from them. That is two seasons of lubing the chain and adjusting the mechanisms. That is worth over $150 right there.

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike......but I can't.
Why not? Because its broke, it sucks, its heavy, it doesn't work right. A bicycle is a vehicle. It is used for transportation and for recreation. When the bicycle makes grinding noises, has little air in the tires and is heavy, it can become almost impossible to pedal and the sound is annoying. When riding a bicycle for transportation, you want to get there faster then walking. You want to get there quietly and you want to get there without anything breaking. A local bicycle shop usually gives their customers free air. Parts that break will be covered under a warranty. A bicycle bought at a shop weighs almost 10lbs less on average. Also, a properly fit bicycle is easier to ride. Your legs fully extend giving you the most power, your body is in the proper position to breath easily, and your arms are at a comfortable width. When a bicycle works and fits well, you enjoy riding it, you enjoy looking at it, and you want to ride it again. When it doesn't work and fit well, you ball up into the fetal position at the thought of putting it between your legs, you look at it with disgust, and you never want to ride it again.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!
Why are you just laying there? I'm hurt. Why are you hurt? My pedal broke; My chain slipped; My seat broke and the list went on and on and........ These are all reasons why riding a bike with adequately well made parts is important. On a bicycle you can hit speeds in excess of 20mph pedaling on a neighborhood street. Ever hit the pavement at that speed? It sucks. Your skin falls off like a zombie with leprosy. How else can I get hurt riding my bike? An improper fit can do it rather easily. If the bike is too small, your knees are too bent when you ride. This will ruin your knees in no time. You will also hit your foot on the front wheel or bang your knee on the handlebar. Ouch. When your bike is too big, you get all stretched out. Making a quick turn to avoid a car or pothole is almost impossible and bang, you just hit the pavement and lost more skin. Your back will creek and ache and ask you to stop riding before too long. If you slip off the handlebar and smack you face on the stem you can say goodbye to a couple of teeth.

I want a bike. What do I do?
In the DC area, I can suggest a few shops that I have had good experiences with or heard good things about.
Griffin Cycle is in Bethesda MD.  Germantown Cycles is in Germantown, MD.   Spokes etc has several locations in Northern VA.   Silver Cycles is located in Silver Spring, MD. If you are not in the DC area, the websites these shop names link to will have reviews of a local bike shop in your area to try out. GO to one of these shops and ask one of their knowledgeable sales staff to help you determine what kind of bike you need. They will also fit the bike to you. They may have to swap out a stem or change your seat and many times there is little or no charge for this. If you do not have enough money now, waiting a few months to save enough will result in owning a bike that is a joy to ride, safe to ride, and will last a long time.

This is all good, but the department store is still cheaper
Supporting your local bike shop supports your community. Many have group rides bringing people who ride bikes in your community together. The bike shop owner is able to work with you and your concerns as opposed to the department store manager who has to follow some large corporation's rules. A local bike shop spends money in your neighborhood as opposed to sending the profits to some far off distant mother-ship. Local bike shops have people who are experts at a trade as opposed to department stores who are experts at putting blue dot stickers on stuff. Your local shop lets you take the bike for a test ride; so you get to be seen looking beautiful riding a new bike before you even spend any money. The list is endless.

Ride Hard. Ride Safe. Ride with a smile on your face.
words by Ray Heinsman  

56 comments:

  1. Thanks Ray-lately we've been getting brand new birthday bikes 20" that we can't attach training wheels to because the axles are too short. I have to look at a crestfallen little kid who will not get to ride that bike anytime soon. The $80 for a new wheel/or rear axle labor and training wheels plus the cost of the unrideable, low quality bicycle makes it more expensive than the nice bike they could have purchased at our shop. Its painful -the mass merchant's buyers probably don't even know enough to realize they've goofed. And the parents and kids are the victims.

    Linda: Owner: Silver Cycles; Silver Spring

    ReplyDelete
  2. In bicycle shop grand rapids mi, bikes are available for rent on a first-come, first-serve basis. These shops do not take any reservations.



    ReplyDelete
  3. I have visited your blog for the first time and found it a well organized blog. thanks for sharing
    Custom bike fit toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you just convinced me to suck it up and sp3nd the money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made some excellent points in that post. I find this a really interesting subject.
    Bicycle shop toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  6. question:

    If I buy say a schwinn prelude off amazon or a schwinn varsity from walmart. Aren't the parts still going to be quality parts given the branding?

    If you can do the maintenance yourself, wouldn't it be a better deal to spend the sub $300 at these department stores and save the $100-$200 for upgrades?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mr Luu, Thank you for your question. A Schwinn is a brand which used to be of high quality and then got bought and turned into a low quality bicycle. The answer to your first question is they are of the same quality and that quality is low. If you can do the maintenance yourself, and plan to; then I recommend buying a good quality bicycle from a shop so you have less work to do and a shop to buy parts for your specific bike from. I also want to stress the difference between maintenance and broken parts. Broken parts are expensive while maintenance is low cost regardless of who is doing it. Ride Hard Everyone! Ray

      Delete
  7. Nice posting about Walmart Bicycle Vs Bike Shop Bicycle.......


    building maintenance brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is very interesting post. I appreciate for your tries for bike shop. i got some effective points about walmart and bike shop bicycles..thanks..
    Bicycle shop toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is to interesting post. in present time this types of post are more popular.i am more happy to visit this post.
    Motorcycle Store Toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why spend a $1000 on something that will not keep me from getting wet if its raining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Do not spend $1000 on something that will not keep you from getting wet if its raining.

      Delete
  11. I have always bought all my bikes at a retail store and never had any problems. I have had my Concord Mountain Bike Bought at Target for 75.00 on sale reg price was 149.00 for 16 years. My wife has a Concord Mountain Bike bought at Meijer retail store. Reg price 299.00 on sale for 149.00 for the same time 16 years and still great. Just need to take care of any bike you buy. Keep in in doors don't leave it in the rain. Only thing that has been done to our bikes is a wider softer seat. Still have all original parts and tires. Save the money buy at a retail store don't be fooled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rich. Congrats on knowing which bike best suited you.
      Thanks for reading!
      Ray

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the market i have seen the Balance Bikes for the kids which is going to be the best bikes now a days for kids as those bikes are low seated also those bikes are meant to be move by their own feet which brings confidence in the kids and they will be able to drive and when they want to stop they can place their feet on the ground and stop it. As per my opinion those bikes are the best balance bikes for kids i have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Allen, Thanks for your comment - this is the balance bike I recommend:
    http://www.striderbikes.com/
    They are well made, easy to assemble, and under $90.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I work for Target and this past holiday season started building their bikes. I never built a bike before in my life before this and had no previous experience selling bikes. I am however a rider of a 09 Cannondale which Ive ridden for a while now and love. I am now 22 with a small frame so this bike, that was bought for me in late highschool still performs quite well for me. My dad bought it for me at the time and it instilled in me the belief that good quality craftsmanship and the knowledge to maintain it is irreplaceable. SO, here I am thrown into this position to build these bikes which are all completely different even if you are looking at the same type of bike (cruiser for example) the quality and build of the bike depends on each brand we carry. Learning the quarks of each bike while trying to keep up the with the demand was challenging at first but over time you get into a flow and things work out. I spend more time FIXING the bikes than building them it seems, being that they come out of the box with bent frames, missing parts ect.ect. We dont even have LUBE for the darn things. SO why am I telling you all this, because I just want everyone to keep in mind the kind of people that are behind the product you're thinking of purchasing, young men mostly. Young men who, happen to show their HR or leaders that they have heart for bikes because god knows you dont need actual EXPERIENCE pshht. lol Anyway, just know that behind that crappy bike that was crappy right out of the box, is a young man trying to figure it out, trying to do you right, TRYING to make the best product that he could attempt to be proud of at the end of the day. I am probably one of the few people that build Target or Wal Mart type bikes who actually cares, so please do yourself a favor, if you want a bike, a real bike, go buy one from your local ma and pa store. Just dont come into Target and expect to get something that lasts throughout the years. Thank you. Keep Riding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your very informative comment -- hopefully it will save a few readers from making the mistake of trying to ride a dept. store "bike". I'm stuck with a Huffy Beach Cruiser, it was a Christmas gift from my non-bike riding boyfriend and I almost broke my neck trying to make a sharp turn on a bike path. When I think of kids riding these lousy bikes . . .

      Delete
  16. I think it really depends on your expectations and usage. Similar to TVs. They sell Samsungs and Sonys at Target and Walmart. They also sell it at Best Buy's Magnolia and other higher end home theater stores. 55 inch 1080p but the specs differ. I recently bought my 7 yr old daughter a Huffy 16' Frozen bike with training wheels. She does not know how to ride yet. I also bought myself a Mongoose BMX Legion L100 from Sears on sale. I paid $220.00 total. For the specs, I think it's a good deal. I will have it taken to a LBS to have it properly installed. My main goal was to introduce her to bike riding and also relive my childhood days of riding. Like I said, expectations and usage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samsung and Sony are considered some of the premium TV brands, I think it would make more since to compare Sony and Samsung to Cannondale or Specialized, which are not sold in dept. stores.

      Delete
  17. Ray
    hello my 17 year old 140 lb 6' tall son is an avid bike rider
    Mom and i have only purchased dept store bikes and they all fall prey to his riding style which i think you coined , (Ride hard Ride safe Ride with a smile on your face) with an emphasis on Hard , well that's him for sure. we live in Minnesota we have salt on the roads and snow for 6 to 7 months of the year, he would most defiantly love to ride all year (mom said no) he dose not want a car any time soon he would rather bike.
    so, i am at a loss as far as what to do next, i don't know what questions to ask at the bike stores we have a couple local bike stores and one larger chain (Erick's) mom is always yelling at him about them breaking i know that their not the best bikes, i would like to get him educated on proper bike maintenance and then get him om a set of good wheels...
    also, can you tell me what the average or manufacturer life expectancy is for a dept store bike

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks For Writing Jim
    You touched on a lot of different things in your post - so I will start with the last item - and work my way back through.

    Life Expectancy - Dept Store Bike - <1yr - it will break..............Bike Shop Bike ridden hard - 5+ yrs - with chain and brake pad replacement every year.
    If your son is really into bikes, I suggest he take his first job at the local shop.....learn how to fix bikes, learn how to sell - a great tool no matter what you do in life, and get that sweet sweet discount. That discount will help you tremendously in the type of bike I suggest he try - which is one of these fat tire bikes.....like surly's moonlander: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/moonlander. They ride over everything and have no suspension. These are fun, simple and durable.....and right now - really really popular.

    ReplyDelete
  19. For poor kids with mechanical aptitude, Wal-Mart is a viable option. For poor kids without mechanical aptitude that want to ride, a Wal-Mart bike will force the kid to learn how to be a mechanic. My department store bicycle is why I have a machine and welding shop today. For all the justification you can give for one to purchase from you, some people just do not have the money. For those not determined enough learn to fix and rebuild their bicycles, you offer an excellent value.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I guess I'm not buy my bike from Walmart anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
    carbon track wheels

    ReplyDelete
  22. The blog is absolutely fantastic! It is very good and full of interesting stuffs that i really wanted from so long thanks and it helps me alot.
    Thanks for the post.

    Bicycle Components

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also prefer local bike shop to buy bikes than wall-mart. because they will attend you more warmly.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would love to win this Strider bike for my son because he is starting to show interest in bikes and I think starting him a balance bike might be the best first step for him. I can't even think where we wouldn't use this bike. We would take it to the park and for walks. I figure we would be able to go farther with him on a bike.
    Thanks for sharing this information. Your experience is so helpful and can be applied to any travel writers no matter what area they are writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice article and all points are absolutely right. Just booked my first cannondale quick 5.. Waiting on it. And to add to the pluses.. There is a personal connect and genuine guidance & care when you buy it from your local bike shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is one very self serving article. "in the bicycle world, when buying bikes that cost less then $1500, this is very true" Are you serious? 90% of people absolutely don't need $1,500 bike for the way they end up riding it. I bought Schwinn at target for $150.00 in 2006 so I can use it to ride with a front mounted kids seat. The seat did not fit on my $2000.00 LBS bike. Schwinn has aluminum frame, Tourney RD, suntour fork, Promax V breaks. Similar bikes at LBS would have been $400-$500. Now 10 years later I still have the Schwinn, not only it did not break, I never even maintained it, not once. Just sprayed some wd-40 on chainrings once a year and replaced brake pads. I ride it on pavement and easy trails. It is 100% adequate for the purpose. I also downgraded my $2000 LBS bike to $800 GT bike bought on big sale from a chain store. I realized that unless I am racing I don't need XT and XTR. Deore seems to be just fine. There are bikes for different purposes and department store bikes are adequate for what they are sold for.
    Now about advise and service. Your shop maybe different but before buying GT from a chain store I visited half a dozen LBS and at half of them the sales guy had no idea what he was talking about. So there is no guarantee that you get good advise at LBS or will not be sold a bike that just happened to be in stock.
    What is this obsession with local? People working at department store are also locals. "opposed to department stores who are experts at putting blue dot stickers on stuff" - seriously? You do realize that these "retards" have families as you do and they need to feed them exact the same way as you do. Not to mention what is local anyway? Every corporation is local somewhere.
    So it seems that none of your points is really valid. Sometimes LBS maybe better, sometimes a department store is better. Many people would be just fine with a department store bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr Gorman for your sharing your opinions and observations. I am very happy that you have had such success with your purchases and enjoy riding your bike. Thanks for reading! Ray

      Delete
  28. Mike Drop https://gearjunkie.com/walmart-mountain-bike-test

    ReplyDelete
  29. I bought a bike from a LBS less than a year ago.
    The LBS tech proudly declared 1 year part/labor on it.
    Within the first few months I've had to spend ~200 on it.
    A pedal broke, the tires got popped(multiple times), I was sold Flat Attack(which failed in winter and I was sold more), The cassette/chain got stripped, Now the crankarm is messed up(keeps coming loose.)
    My point is, LBS bikes are not necessarily better and LBS warranties are usually worthless.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was torn between a cheaper department store bike and purchasing a more expensive one from my local bike shop. Your excellent points helped me make an informed decision. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How good are bikes at Dick's Sporting Goods? Are they good quality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabrication of many of the brands Dick's carries can be quite adequate. The quality of the labor used in the store to assemble the bikes varies greatly from store to store.

      Delete
  32. Thanks for the information and links you shared this is so should be a useful and quite informative!
    Breaking in the new bike

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am faced with this situation right now. I've decided to replace my Next department store bike that I've had for 6+ years. It had been good to me until I let my 12yr old son ride it. Based on your blog I almost want to buy a bike from a department store and have a bike shop assemble it. The same type of bike at a LBS would cost me more than $100 more. Most of the shops here offer free lifetime tune ups but I am very knowledgeable and could do them myself. I'm so torn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are unfamiliar with bicycle assembly, I highly recommend you have a professional mechanic at least inspect the department store bike.

      Delete
  34. nice one ray! you are so on point with this, i would highly suggest you write a blog which i think all cyclists should read about the cycling bargains which has saved me a mountain of money. please do a write up!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I know this is a old article...but and a big BUT at that. First off big box stores invest heavily in there local markets. probably and I'm just guessing here thousands more than a lbs. Hence the price difference on a low end LBS and a high end BB bike. I like my local bike shops I go in least twice a year and buy things that I can't at the stores.
    For you people that aren't mechanically inclined to fix anything. LBS are your best bet. For us other folks a bikes a bike and we can change a derailleur, rebuild our bottom brackets and switch out cranks. And since the bikes are cheap there are no shortages of parts. The cables on my bike use the same cables as a high end bicycle.
    Pacific cycle has a 1yr warranty on parts and depending on brand name a 5yr to life time warranty on frames. You do have to get online though and register your new purchase.
    Most of us know what we are buying at Wal-Mart or any store for that matter.
    why aren't the local bikes shop selling other bikes in price ranges that normal people can afford, or are they just in business to serve only a specific demographic group? I personally think it's the later. And that's why the snobbery of the biking community at large. it's all about the money you spent not about having fun. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I guess you are selective allowing only certain replies onto your blog because I have been here before:
    I do believe in supporting local business' but in my town the local bike shop is, well, a monopoly! That's right, the next closest is a partnership in a town 25 miles away.
    Yeah, I went there looking for a "last years" hybrid models so I didn't have to pay the full price! The staff was ok, but when the owner stood there and was shooting the breeze with a client of his that he trained gossiping about another client and I asked to speak with him he didn't say a word like I'll be right with you. He just ignored me for a good 5-10 minutes but still looking at us occasionally over the clients shoulder! I felt that was rude, not to say "I'll be with you soon or something to acknowledge my request! Not very good customer service, do you think? And when I had a rear cassette side spoke replaced it ran over $60! Later in the year, when a group of us were riding on a trail, we met another owner from a town 35 miles away; he was pleasant and we started talking bikes; I mentioned the fact I was charged $60 for a spoke replacement and he told us that several people from our town have come to him for repairs, parts and bikes just because they didn't care for the local bike shop!
    BTW the fitting was not very good! First I was trying the small because of the stand-over height; but, because I needed the set up higher they put me on a medium which was in my crotch! I didn’t have any clearance what so ever!
    Upon further research; what could have been done was sell me a longer seat post!
    So, you cannot always get a proper fit at a LBS, in my town anyway! It’s a crap shoot!
    I had recently sold the hybrid because I was riding 90 -95% on the road and wasn’t getting the aerodynamics.
    I also purchased a Motobecane Mirage S from BD and I am extremely happy with the bike! Al frame and a carbon fiber fork; and the STI brifters are terrific! I am well satisfied with this bike. I used to do tri’s using a Cannondale R700 TT bike and I feel just as good about this Mirage as I did about the R700!

    P.S. I have even replied on a blog, “Ray’s Life Cycle” twice now and I guess he’s bias regarding LBS; so, my reply was never put up on his blog, just positive ones about LBS bikes vs. “mail order”!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This can be a decent post. This post give really quality data. I'm certainly planning to investigate it. Truly exceptionally valuable tips are given here. much obliged for your requirements to this kind of extent. Keep up the acts of kindness.bike bag

    ReplyDelete
  38. Today, I was just browsing along and came upon your blog. Just wanted to say good blog and this article helped me a lot, due to which I have found exactly I was looking. hornless bicycle seat

    ReplyDelete