Monday, April 19, 2010

Riding Sligo Creek Park with my Wife



My wife and I really enjoy riding in Sligo Creek Park.
The other day we rode our 3 speed bikes. We rode about 10 miles round trip from Silver Spring to Wheaton MD.

Sligo Creek is a watershed creek in Montgomery County. Most days it runs sleepily meandering from town to town; although after a heavy rain it turns into a roaring river. There are numerous playgrounds, baseball diamonds, and soccer fields for each neighborhood. Many people stand along the creeks edge taking photos of birds or just sitting with their loved ones on a path side bench.

There are three types of paths that run along the creek. The most traveled is the Sligo Creek Parkway. This road has a 25 mph speed limit and speed bumps along the way to maintain driver compliance. Careful riding your bike on this street though as law enforcement is likely
to harass or intimidate you ignoring the law and exerting their authority. The next most traveled is a paved pedestrian path that dog walkers, stroller pushers, casual cyclists, and people taking a gentle stroll enjoy and frequent year round. The least most occupied of all the paths is a dirt path that intermittently runs parallel to the paved path and the creek. I have ridden my mountain bike on this path and the wife and I have enjoyed the slightly more challenging terrain while hiking on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

If you are ever on the north east side of DC and would like to enjoy a nice piece of Maryland flora, fauna and neighborhoods, I highly recommend taking a stroll through Sligo Creek Park.

1 comment:

  1. This site is very good and interesting. I gain lots of new things from here. Thank you for sharing. I'll be waiting for the new one.

    mountain biking blog

    ReplyDelete