Monday, April 26, 2010

Bicycle Rim Table





I made this table for my Best Man and Friend Ryan and his wife Amanda for their wedding in Buffalo on December 31st 2005. For about a decade, when any of my friends got married I made a piece of furniture for them.

Constructed from bicycle rims that I bent while riding with Ryan in the Buffalo Niagara Area, I came up with a very rigid design. Two rims were cut in half and another was left whole. I designed a clamp that connected them all together and had 8 identical cut from a 23 layer, 5/8"tk plywood. Those layers were very thin. Each one used 2: 6-32 thread allen head bolts to clamp them together.

The top is a polished 42"dia X 1/2"tk tempered glass top with polished edges.

words, furniture and photos by Ray Heinsman    

1 comment:

  1. A very good and informative article indeed. It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge, I really like the way the writer presented his views.
    carbon road rim

    ReplyDelete