Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Do you wear a helmet because of Fear?





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY

This video talks about helmets in terms of our current "culture of fear"
I had to share. While I do wear one while mountain biking, I usually do not wear one when riding around town....getting groceries.....yada....

Now I wear a helmet, and make my son wear a helmet in the bike trailer for the sole purpose of not having to have a conversation about it with other parents at his day school. While it makes little sense to me to wear one riding a bike on the sidewalk, I know that judgement nowadays can come with a report to Child Protective Services....so I admit freely that I am wearing a helmet for fear.

Ray

1 comment:

  1. For me Ray it a combination of things. Fear does play its part but that is also coupled with self preservation. I realize that I am not invincible. Secondly, for my boys I want to make sure I'm setting a good example. I expect them to tag along to the skate park and trails so I want them to think of it as natural to have the helmet on from the get go. I also like to try and act like a good example at the park because I hate seeing these kids get injured because fashion dictates that helmets aren't cool. You will see me without one riding flatland, but my rational behind that is I'm in a small controlled area and close to the ground...or I'm a hypocrite take your pick.

    ReplyDelete